This February, take some time to focus on your heart—and no, we’re not talking about today’s Valentine’s Day festivities. February is American Heart Month, which aims to raise awareness about heart health and urge those around you to prevent heart disease. Heart disease is the leading cause of mortality for men and women in the United States. Some of the most common risk factors for heart disease are high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, smoking, and obesity.
What better timing than the beginning of February to check in on those New Year’s resolutions you made and reconfirm or even restart your commitment to a healthier lifestyle! We asked Glen Rock Clinic Director and cardiovascular pulmonary specialist Robert Egermayer, PT, MPT, CCS to share some tips for working toward a healthier you 2022:
- Exercise differently. Changing up your exercise routine keeps it interesting. By increasing the frequency of your activities, you’ll also see cardiovascular benefits.
- Eat better. By stepping up your exercise and focusing on nutritional foods and an appropriate caloric intake, you maximize your potential for weight loss.
- Set attainable goals. Set small goals, reach them, and make new ones. There is nothing more motivational than achieving your goals, no matter the size.
- Take a deep breath and relax! Take some time to disconnect and pay attention to yourself. You’re the only one who lives with yourself 24/7.
- Do your due diligence. If you have concerns about starting an exercise program because of heart–related issues and other co-morbidities, see your doctor and follow up with a cardiovascular and pulmonary physical therapy specialist!
What makes Robert uniquely qualified to promote heart health? As a cardiovascular pulmonary specialist, he’s spent the last 20 years in an outpatient physical therapy setting treating not only cardiovascular patients, but orthopedic conditions as well. When designing his patients’ personalized rehab programs, Robert addresses cardiovascular comorbidities and incorporates in–office telemetry.
This month, please join Excel Physical Therapy as we celebrate American Heart Month and help bring awareness to the leading killer of men and women in America—heart disease. Spend this month finding small ways to be more active, be more aware of your nutritional choices, and checking in with a health professional to take care of your heart!