Identifying and correcting running gait impairments
Whether you’re a recreational runner or a seasoned triathlete, you may unknowingly suffer from gait impairments that can cause injury or hinder your performance.
Excel Physical Therapy’s Certified Running Gait Analysts will evaluate your gait and analyze any biomechanical impairments and compensatory mechanisms. By using visual feedback, we’re able to give you firsthand insight into your specific deviations. Research indicates that there are six areas which should be evaluated, including:
- Pelvic rotation (anterior/posterior)
- Pelvic obliquity (Trendelenburg, leg length discrepancy, etc.)
- Knee flexion in stance
- Foot and ankle motion (overpronation, oversupination, limited dorsiflexion, etc.)
- Lateral displacement of the pelvis
- Axial rotations of the lower extremities
If you’re experiencing discomfort while walking or running, a gait analysis will help determine the root cause of your pain and how best to address it.
When you visit your local EXCEL clinic for a gait analysis, here’s what you can expect:
- Gait Analysis. You’ll be asked to perform a series of 3-4 phased exercises on a treadmill, starting with a slow warm-up and progressing to a jog or run.
- Video Evaluation. During each phase of the gait analysis, we record a 30-second video that documents the patient’s biomechanics from both a lateral and posterior view. By enabling the patient to see their deficits firsthand—in slow motion, at that—they’re able to gain a better understanding of how these issues affect biomechanics.
- Personalized Treatment Plan. Based on the results of your gait analysis, we will design an individualized plan of care just for you. This treatment program will address any observed deficits, correcting your form and biomechanics to decrease pain and functional limitations. A typical treatment plan may include:
- Corrective exercise prescription
- Manual treatments, including joint and tissue mobilizations and other modalities
- Recommendation of external supports, including kinesiotape, orthotics, and bracing
THE EXCEL DIFFERENCE
At EXCEL, we provide constant monitoring and supervision to ensure the patient’s proper form and technique. This one-on-one attention expedites the patient’s progression and their ability to resume desired activities with a lower risk of injury. Our physical therapists will also complete follow-up gait analyses as frequently as necessary to ensure that we are always basing our treatment plan on the latest and greatest information.
Prevention is the best treatment. Get started today!
We are dedicated to helping our patients avoid injury by practicing preventative care. For active individuals, it is even more important to be proactive with your health. Contact your local EXCEL office or request an appointment online to find a Certified Running Gait Analyst near you. Let us show you how to reduce your risk of injury, increase your performance, and get you moving better.
No prescription? No problem.
You can start physical therapy without a prescription or referral from a doctor, through a program called "Direct Access." Even better, it's usually covered by insurance. Give us a call, we're happy to check your coverage for you.
Ready to EXCEL?
It’s easy to get started.
Begin PT within 24 hours.